Action plans set out the strategic approach of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador on climate change and energy efficiency.
In August 2011, the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador released Charting Our Course: Climate Change Action Plan 2011 and Moving Forward: Energy Efficiency Action Plan 2011. These action plans set out the Provincial Government's strategic approach on climate change and energy efficiency, including government's vision and goals for five years, and 75 commitments for action across the economy.
The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador believes that climate change is one of the greatest long-term challenges facing the planet. It is not just an environment issue; it is equally an economic and social issue that can significantly impact the province. Charting Our Course lays out a comprehensive approach to climate change and is guided by four central goals:
- Enhance the province's resilience to the impacts of climate change
- Reduce the province's greenhouse gas emission levels
- Demonstrate government leadership on climate change
- Advance action on climate change through collaboration with other governments
The Plan recognizes that climate change is a shared challenge and success depends on all groups playing their part, including individuals, households, businesses or governments.
The Provincial Government is committed to strengthening energy conservation and efficiency efforts in the province, recognizing these efforts are fundamental to long-term economic growth and environmental sustainability. Moving Forward establishes three key goals:
- Support a major shift in the uptake of energy efficiency
- Demonstrate government leadership on energy efficiency
- Advance action on energy efficiency through collaboration with other governments
Moving Forward is the province's first strategy wholly dedicated to energy efficiency. Energy efficiency plays an important role in tackling climate change, as it is key to reducing greenhouse gas emissions. However, its benefits go beyond this and include greater energy security, lower energy bills and enhanced business competitiveness.